Sunday, June 7, 2009

Summer Camps Are The Best!


Hey friends it's Oz here for a summer edition of The Oz Files. So Leah asked me to choose yet another theme and this weeks theme is summertime. Leah says she needs to know my favorite summertime memory. How old was I when this happened? What is it exactly that makes this memory my top choice? Well I've had a lot of great summer memories but I think I'm gonna go with some church camp memories. I've been to church camp as a kid and I've been to church camp as a young teen like 16 17 18 and a little older than that as counselor and program staff. Church camp was a week long thing and lots of activities planned and worship and the messages kids style! It was all a lot of fun and my favorite summer memory was my last year doing this. I was program staff and me and this cool dude named George we ran the ball field. We played soccer with a huge ball with 2 cabins on each rotation in the afternoons. Also on the big field was the water balloon launcher so there were hoses so for those hot days I got to soak myself. I loved playing those soccer games talking with the campers grades 2nd through 6th I was there favorite. During one of the games I tackled one of the female counselors it was a good time! Also for the whole game in one of the games I was playing for this one cabin and then I was standing at the other ends goal which were red cones. Talking to two of the 4th or 5th grade girls and said you have to go your not on our team. I said I think I'm going to be on your team now! They said Ozzie we don't believe you so I told them to check this out. So when the other team came down with the huge ball I kicked the ball the other way. George yelled out I thought you were on there team I said I have switched teams. That was a great bonding experience. One of the summers when I was a counselor i got this program staff young women Nicole very very very very very wet wow she was soaked when we went to dinner. Ha she wasn't a happy camper no pun intended. One summer I was a counselor think it was that same year when I soaked Nicole so bad we played kickball huge ball I caught it and sprained my wrist fun! But let's focus back to the last year when I was on the program staff. I did it two years and this last one I did was amazing. We always did a variety show and with my singing voice I sang Mary Did You Know. I could see people in the crowd crying when I sang because well it was a great song and I sang it very very well. I got tons of props that night and the next morning. I also sprained my ankle that night I was supposed to sleep in one of the boys cabins and I had my dress shoes on still and slipped and fell down and a huge group of program staff and counselors were standing around. I got on a wheel chair they rolled me into my pad and I layed down I was in tears Nicole was there SMILE! The next day I woke up pain free and it was amazing. All the prayers were great Barb the head honcho said why are you walking I said I have no pain. She was leading the counselors meeting and I went to breakfast and everyone was happy it was the last day of camp! Oh and to answer the question how old was I think I was like 19 or 20 maybe 22 I don't know! It was somewhere in the past 5 years I believe. Now they have the church camp at the church. What made it my top choice? Well I think I covered all that great times all around! Also the 2nd grade girls cabin made me a card to wish I feel better. I visited them at the cabin I broke down in tears because it was such a sweet thing and they gave me hugs. Now that's a Kodak moment! Well what do you guys think is your best summertime moment? Well until next time may the Oz always be with you so long!

No comments:

Post a Comment