Saturday, March 28, 2009

I HAVE A DREAM!


Hey friends it's Oz here for a great edition of The Oz Files! Today Leah has decided that the topic will be if I could go back into any moment in history what would it be and why? This took me quite some time of deliberating but I did reach a destination. I could have picked any moment in history but one that stands out in my mind happened back on August 28, 1963. It was the march on Washington which commenced with the world renown I have a dream speech. I would have loved to be in Washington D.C. to march with all those people. Everyone who was there marched because they were striving all for the same goal and that was to eliminate racism and to get jobs for the blacks because the African American unemployment rate was as high as it ever has been. In my opinion this speech that was delivered may have triggered the start of the abolishment of racial segregation. I couldn't have imagined having separate schools for blacks and whites. Also separate drinking fountains and restaurants and so much more it's heartbreaking to even think about how it was way back then. Racial segregation has been stopped and I am so grateful for that. It took some time for racial segregation to end but the I have a dream speech spurred the movement and I am proud of the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. King was talking about one day we can all work together, pray together and then he went on to say what I thought was one of the most heart felt moments I have ever heard this was how the speech ended. And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!" Well this man had a dream and he wasn't able to live long enough to see it happen but he's looking down from above with a huge smile on his face. Well friends this has been a serious side of the Oz you may have never known existed. I hope you can now say that I have a serious side as well. Where would you go in history if you could and why? Well until next time may the Oz always be with you so long!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Oz. that really was a serious one. Good job. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you sooo much leah i dug down deep and really delivered

    ReplyDelete